A bearded dragon lizard
(HealthDay)—What subsequent, 2020?
On this yr of unusual threats to public health, the U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention is now investigating a pair of salmonella outbreaks amongst individuals who cuddled pet hedgehogs and bearded dragon lizards.
No deaths have been reported in both outbreak however a dozen folks have been hospitalized, the CDC mentioned. In each instances, health officials haven’t recognized a standard provider.
The outbreak linked with bearded dragons has sickened 13 folks in eight states and 7 have been hospitalized.
Ten of the sick people mentioned they’d had contact with a bearded dragon earlier than changing into ailing. Sufferers reported shopping for bearded dragons from numerous pet shops in a number of states, the CDC mentioned.
The outbreak linked to pet hedgehogs has sickened 32 folks in 17 states. 5 have been hospitalized. Sixteen of 23 ailing individuals who had been interviewed mentioned they’d contact with pet hedgehogs earlier than they grew to become sick.
Individuals who grew to become sick reported shopping for hedgehogs from numerous sources, together with pet shops, breeders and on-line.
The salmonella pressure, Salmonella Typhimurium, is identical as in outbreaks related to hedgehogs in 2012 and 2019, based on the CDC.
Most individuals contaminated with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps wherever from six hours to 6 days after publicity. The sickness sometimes lasts 4 to seven days and most sufferers get well with out remedy, the CDC mentioned.
The company supplied a number of suggestions for secure dealing with of pet bearded dragons and hedgehogs:
- All the time wash your palms completely with cleaning soap and water proper after touching your pet or something in its atmosphere.
- Do not kiss or snuggle your pet, as a result of this may unfold salmonella germs to your face and mouth and make you sick.
- Preserve your pet away from areas the place you eat, retailer or put together meals.
- Objects you utilize for pet care needs to be cleaned outside, if potential. For those who do have to scrub the objects indoors, use a laundry sink or bathtub and completely disinfect the realm instantly afterward.
- Do not let children below age 5 contact both animal, as a result of younger youngsters usually tend to have extreme salmonella sickness.
Earlier than bringing residence a brand new pet, analysis its wants to find out if it is a good match for your loved ones.
The U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention has extra on salmonella.
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Beware pet ‘bearded dragons’: CDC says they might carry salmonella (2020, October 2)
retrieved 2 October 2020
This doc is topic to copyright. Other than any truthful dealing for the aim of personal examine or analysis, no
half could also be reproduced with out the written permission. The content material is supplied for data functions solely.